Variant: Traveling Outfit
While watching Fullmetal Alchemist, I became very attached to Winry. She was my favorite character in that show. I loved the fact that she was adorable but a the same time very smart and an excellent mechanic. I made Winry's travel clothes because I liked that look best; it’s the outfit with the cream-colored tank top, black skirt, and black jacket.
- Completed: June 2005
- Debut: AnimeNEXT 2005
- Difficulty: Difficult
- Time Spent: 40 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $130 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Twill, Cotton, Slinky Lycra-Spandex
- ♥~Jacket~♥ The jacket is made out of black Twill. It was more difficult to discern how it was made but once that was figured out it was probably the easiest piece to make. The collar was the most major of the changes that I had to make to the base pattern I ended-up using.
- ♥~Top~♥ The top was the first part I worked on and probably also the most time consuming since I had to alter both the pattern and the top once put together since the pattern was not made for someone with my proportions. After a lot of tweaking I finally was able to get it to look and fit properly.
- ♥~Skirt~♥ The skirt was a pain mainly just because of the fabric that I had decided to use. I wanted the skirt to behave correctly so I had to use a stretchy material, which did not like to behave so it took twice as long to construct as a skirt made from a woven material.
The top was made from a woven cotton cream-colored material. This piece was by far the most difficult part since the only fabric I found that was the perfect color was too transparent on it's own and I had to fuse it together to make the pieces necessary. It also has boning and a built in bra since it was impossible to wear one without it showing due to the design. This was also my first real venture into formfitting, it took forever and a lot of work to get it to fit perfectly but in the end I was very pleased with the results.
The skirt was made from a lightweight slinky Lycra-spandex. This piece was a bit daunting since it was my first venture in using spandex material ever to make anything on my own. I wanted it to be made out of such material so that it would flow and sway properly. Since the skirt is a basic A-line mini the patterning wasn't difficult only the material because it liked to slip and slink around a lot as I worked with it. So I just took my time, carefully, and patiently worked with it. In the end I was very pleased with the results.
- ♥~Earrings~♥ Two pairs of sterling silver hoop earrings and one fake stud earring that I got at the mall.
- ♥~Boots~♥ They were altered from base boots that I already owned which were very close and only needed a little bit of tweaking to be accurate.
- ♥~Wrench~♥ Like any good Winry I was obligated to have a shinny silver wrench. I got said wrench at a local hardware store.
- ♥~Ed's Missing Bolt~♥ I got a single bolt at the local hardware store that looked like Ed's bolt and then I used a length of wire to hand-tie the handwritten tag to the bolt.
- ♥~Wig~♥ Since it was my first venture into making wefts I had to make and add in clear-caulk wefts from loose hair to the back in sides of the base wig so that I could pull up the hair into a ponytail without exposing the wefting. I had style the ponytail up while the wig was on my head so that it would fit properly. For the front I had to cut in and style her bangs and side-locks. I also added in some wig clips to help it stay on my head since taping it and bobby-pinning wasn't enough to keep it securely on my head.
- Brand: Amphigory
- Style: Enchantment
- Color: 22
- Styling Time: 8 hours (approx.)