Variant: High School Uniform (Fall/Winter)
Stars is my favorite season of Sailor Moon. My first true cosplays were even from Stars. I was looking for something to do that would be nice for summer gatherings & was even asked by some friends to make this cosplay. Plus I like the particular design & coloration of this incarnation of her school uniform.
- Completed: June 2008
- Debut: Boston Cosplay Picnic 2008
- Difficulty: Normal
- Time Spent: 30 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $63 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Suiting, Polished Cotton-Spandex Shirting, Ribbon
Even though it looks like a very basic outfit, I still had to make the majority of the pattern bits from scratch or majorly altering ones I had previously made. I am not what the pattern makers consider "average" proportions-wise but an actual hourglass shape, which requires a little more work than simply starting with the package default; making sure everything fit properly before cutting into the actual fabric. Now, I have a basic pattern that can altered for most school girl uniforms.
- ♥~Shirt~♥ The shirt was made with a polished cotton-spandex shirting and the navy suiting. I machine embroidered on all of the red lines with a basic sewing machine.
- ♥~Skirt~♥ Pleated skirts are such a pain the butt, at least the suiting was wonderful to work with and took the forced creases well to create a crisp clean look.
The navy suiting fabric I used is so soft and supple! Even though is was melt-able on higher iron settings (which made some of the tasks more difficult), it was still very much a joy to work with and wear. It was also wonderful finding a nice white for the shirt that wasn't see-through. Also all the seams are 100% finished due to the fray-able nature of the fabric that I used.
It's a really comfortable cosplay for the most part. Plus, I really love the embroidery that I decided to do for the red stripes on the collar and the cuffs since it looks really lovely against the wonderful navy fabric.
- ♥~Earrings~♥ I wore a pair of Faux-pearl earrings I got from Claires in the mall.
- ♥~Socks~♥ The socks were purchased at a local store.
- ♥~Shoes~♥ I bought a pair of Mary-Jane style black heels from a local thrift store. They were rather worn but still in good structural shape so I cleaned them completely, treated the leather, touched them up with some black leather dye, and replaced the insole. I then altered them by removing the original strap and adding in 2 new ones in order to create her cross straps.
- ♥~Brooch~♥ I was on a time-crunch and so Sephygoth sculpted the brooch for me out of polymer clay while I was embroidering and then once it was baked I gold-leafed it.
- ♥~Hair~♥ I style my real hair to achieve the look of Sailor Moon's hair
- Styling Time: 10-30 minutes (approx.) each time