Variant: Holy Grail Butterfly Transformation
Ever since I've seen Sailor Moon, I've wanted to cosplay from it and always dreamed of doing this version of Sailor Moon since it was my favorite design wise.
I finally got up the guts to take on the difficult task of making it since I've always been terrified of working with stretch fabric, plus I'm now out of my parent's house so they can no longer forbid me to cosplay her.
This is essentially the same costume as the Super Sailor Moon version but with the wings, the Spiral Moon Heart Wand, and the Holy Grail.
- Completed: April 2007
- Debut: Anime Boston 2007
- Difficulty: Very Difficult
- Time Spent: 80-100 (approx.) I seriously lost count
- Estimated Cost: $230 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Regular Lycra-Spandex, Heavy Lycra-Spandex, Moleskin, Sparkle Organza, Resin
- ♥~Senshi Fuku~♥ I made this from high quality matte spandex (white, red, yellow, & blue), white sparkle organza, wire, foam, and batting. I had to create the pattern myself since I could not find one close enough, I started by studying ice-skating patterns that were similar to get a feel for how to make patterns for stretch and after a lot of experimentation I made the first version of my Sailor Senshi pattern. I also had to draft the pattern for the sailor collar, which came out better than all my previous attempts. The bodice and skirt are fully lined and the stripes on the collar are embroidered on.
- ♥~Gloves & Glove Rolls~♥ This was one of my few attempts at making gloves, I was not entirely happy with how they came out and the first few times I wore this cosplay I actually didn't have proper glove-rolls since I had run out of time to make them initially. I did go back and remedy that about 4 months after first making the costume.
This was not only my first attempt at working with stretch fabrics but also my first time working with sheers like sparkle organza, it was truly a learning experience.
As for detailing, this costume was full of it, from the embroidered stripes on the collar to the sparkly translucent sleeves, it was a very big and time consuming project.
- ♥~Brooches~♥ I sculpted the original from Sculpey and then made a mold & resin cast the two brooches. Since this was before we had resin dyes for the non-translucent resins I had to paint all the pieces with an enamel paint and gold leafing to get the right look.
- ♥~Odango Shields~♥ I sculpted the original from Sculpey and then made a mold & resin cast the two odango shields embedding the attachment method into the resin to make it more secure. Since this was before we had resin dyes for the non-translucent resins I had to paint all the pieces with an enamel paint and gold leafing to get the right look.
- ♥~Hair Feathers~♥ I sculpted the original from Sculpey and then made a mold & resin cast the six feather pearls. Since this was before we had resin dyes for the non-translucent resins I had to paint all the pieces with an enamel paint and gold leafing to get the right look.
- ♥~Earrings~♥ I sculpted the original from Sculpey and then made a mold & resin cast the two earring. Since this was before we had resin dyes for the non-translucent resins I had to gold leaf the earrings to get the right look.
- ♥~Choker~♥ The choker was made from some of the matching yellow spandex and a resin heart.
- ♥~Wings~♥ The wings are made out of white sparkle organza, this was my first time making wings, the edges are fray-checked and ribbon was used as the casing for the heavy-duty wire used as their support structure. I also made hidden/invisible harness/attachment.
- ♥~Boots~♥ The boots are actually permanently attached boot covers: the moons are embroidered on, and the soles are covered in a tan leather for traction and to match her boots.
- ♥~Holy Grail/Rainbow Moon Chalice~♥ When I decided to make Super Sailor Moon with the Butterfly wings as seen in the Grail power-up transformation, since that was my favorite version of her, I just had to make the grail to go along with it. ♥
- ♥~Spiral Moon Heart Rod~♥ Even though I have the official toy Spiral Moon Heart Rod, one day I was bored and wanted to make my own to go with my Sailor Moon cosplay. I started it on a whim finished it about 24 hours, just in time for the JapanLA 1 Year Anniversary Party/Cosplay.com Cosplay Contest in 2007.
The grail is made from polymer clay and faux gems built on a plastic base. It was painted to match the other accessories, like the broaches and my Spiral Moon Heart Wand. The red paint is enamel which gives a lovely shine like in the anime, the gold is gold leafing, and everything is sealed with a clear gloss.
The Rod is a combination of Polymer Clay, Plastic Gems, Metal Screw, and Wood.
The heart was sculpted separately with a metal screw threading inside and plastic gems were set prior to baking. The bottom of the rod, the bump and bow were sculpted onto the wood after it was sanded. The top "flower" was added last and the screw that was set in the top of the wood was screwed into the heart before the final baking.
It was painted to match the other accessories, like the broaches and the Holy Grail/Rainbow Moon Chalice. The red paint is red enamel which gives a lovely shine like in the anime, the gold is gold leafing, the pink is high gloss acrylic, and everything is sealed with a gloss sealer.
- ♥~Hair~♥ I style my real hair to achieve the look of Sailor Moon's hair
- Styling Time: 10-30 minutes (approx.) each time