Variant: Anime/Manga Blend
I had been wanting to make Serenity's dress for a while now, but I couldn't figure out for the longest time how not to look awkward due to my figure. While mulling it over and sifting through various reference material, I arrived at a sudden epiphany while looking through the official art-book images. I decided to make the anime style dress with manga art influences since I love the iconic simplicity of the anime version and the shear elegance of the manga version. I liked the idea of combining the simpler bust design with the more elegant jewelry, and more glamorous accessories.
I drew inspiration for the drape and design of the dress from both, combining elements from each without muddling the two together.
- Completed: October 2012
- Debut: Bakuretsucon 2012
- Difficulty: Normal
- Time Spent: about 50 hours
- Estimated Cost: $326 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Chiffon, Matte Dutches Satin, Cotton Lining, Sparkle Organza, Gold Spandex, Swarovski Pearls
- ♥~Dress~♥ The bodice portion is made out of a high quality matte satin I randomly had in my fabric stash, lined with a nice cotton. I made the pattern myself after looking at some similar dress patterns so that it would match my hourglass figure more properly and have the right cut. The bodice is fully boned and the skirt is made up of 3 gathered layers of a sheer fabric. I bought it at a discount fabric store and I'm not exactly sure what it's called. The beads are Swarovski pearls that I picked to match the gold I used for the rings as closely as possible and are hand-stitched. I drafted and made the pattern for the rings, although how they're made specifically is my little secret...^_~
- ♥~Sleeves~♥ Made from the same matte satin as the dress; they didn't take too long at all to make. I made the less accurate ones to fill in because I didn't have time to finish working on the "sculpted" versions of her sleeves before the convention. Those will be "coming soon."
- ♥~Bracelet~♥ The bracelet is made from matching gold Swarovski pearls of a slightly smaller diameter.
- ♥~Earrings~♥ I lucked into finding the perfect swirl earrings on-line; they're real gold too! :D The pearls are the same real pearls I use for my other Usagi cosplays.
- ♥~Hair Pearls~♥ The hair pearls are white Swarovski pearls in graduated sizes attached to hair clips so that I can use them with either my real hair or my wig. The art-book necklace was made with real gold chain and findings, white Swarovski pearls, and an AB Swarovski crystal pendant.
- ♥~Necklace ~♥ The art-book necklace was made with real gold chain and findings, white Swarovski pearls, and an AB Swarovski crystal pendant.
- ♥~Shoes~♥ Since I could only find one picture of Serenity that looked like she was wearing shoes, I combined that with what I could find with Naoko's overall style. I used a pair of white pointed-toe 5 inch stiletto heels. I added ankle straps of 3 strands of white Swarovski pearls strung on silk beading thread, which I knotted as you would with real pearls. Then I added a fancy gold 3 strand clasp to for a functional, simple yet elegant look which, I feel, fits Serenity as well as the style of the art-book
- ♥~Ginzuishō/Silver Crystal~♥ I found a crystal that looked like the Ginzuishō in both roundish form and in flower form (Sailor Moon R The Movie) Online. I only have pictures with the round one since I forgot the flower one at home.
- ♥~Wig~♥ I filled in the bangs with wefts from another wig, raised the pigtails and secured them. I then styled the wig like I would style my hair as I would for Sailor Moon, giving it a more natural look than the overused Styrofoam ball method.
- Brand: Lacey
- Style: Little Women II & Long Pageboy & several packs of loose extensions
- Color: 22
- Styling Time: 16 hours (approx.)