Starlightslk

Variant: Darkstalkers 3

My first Morrigan cosplay was made due to a request from my boyfriend, Sephygoth; since Morrigan is one of his favorite characters from Darkstalkers. But as time goes on I've grown even more attached to her than when I first started cosplaying her. Thus I want to improve upon my original cosplay and step it up a notch by finally adding the wings and re-doing/fixing up the rest of the elements in the process and finally re-making her leotard the way I wanted to and had been planning since the beginning.

Like always it was worn with Sepygoth as part of a Darkstalkers pair, which is always amazingly fun! ♥ Like I mentioned before on my other Morrigan cosplay it was really a combined effort between him and I from start to finish. =^-^= ♥

Basic Info

  • Completed: August 2012
  • Debut: Dragon*con 2012
  • Difficulty: Hard
  • Time Spent: 60 hours (approx.)
  • Estimated Cost: $?? (approx.)
  • Materials Used: High Quality Lycra-Spandex, Specialty Lycra-Spandex, Coutil, Spiral Steel Boning, Feathers

Clothing

  • Since a good amount of the parts & pieces from the previous versions I made were interchangeable with this one I'm going to list the information from those here as well as the new items.

    This cosplay was really a combined effort between my boyfriend and I from start to finish since he said if I made the cosplay he would help, so I'm gonna break down what each of us did below.


  • ♥~Leotard~♥
  • I made a light corset under-structure out of coutil in hopes of eliminating the straps I had to have on my last Morrigan leotard as well as enabling the ability of have wings...finally...XP I lined this with a basic cotton fabric. I then made a new pattern for the outer layer based on the pattern my boyfriend drafted for my original Morrigan leotard. The outer shell was made out of a high quality specialty Lycra-spandex. He designed the heart cut-out.

  • ♥~Armlets~♥
  • I made the pattern for the armlets based on my original Morrigan armlets. I then had to adjust it because the fabric I got for the new armlets was significantly less stretchy than the first. (Made out of a high quality Lycra-spandex.)

  • ♥~Feathers~♥
  • Real feathers that I hand-sewed on the strap.

  • ♥~Tights~♥
  • I made a reusable pattern for the tights based on my original purple ones. The tights are made out of high quality regular Lycra-spandex. He drew on the bats on while I was wearing the tights so they looked right when worn but due to a time crunch I ended up doing the color fill on them.

Accessories

  • ♥~Head Wings~♥
  • He marked the placement, I made the base armature and sculpted the part closest to the head and he sculpted the wings and claw bits out of various materials, finished the full piece, and painted both of them. They are fully removable and super lightweight for easy packing and transport.

  • ♥~Boots~♥
  • I bought a pair that were similar to hers and altered them. He marked the shape while I wore them and I cut, altered them, and sewed them to secure the hems. I will be remaking these in the near future since they took quite a beating at the con. (I started with patent vinyl boots)

  • ♥~Wings~♥
  • I have wanted to add wings to my Morrigan cosplay for a long time now but due to how I made my original leotard it was impossible, so I had to completely re-design the leotard in order to provide support for the wings without adding unnecessary bulk to the costume. The wings are rather big and fully removable which is why I didn't have them at Dragon*con 2012.

Props

Wig

  • ♥~Wig~♥
  • I took a long straight wig I got from a local shop Sephygoth trimmed the wig to proper length while I wore it and I custom-dyed it with a sharpie dye mix I customized to match her minty-sea-foamy color. Once dyed Sephygoth then styled the bangs and added the hair wings.

  • Brand: Lacey
  • Style: 1448
  • Color: 613
  • Styling Time: a week of color layering

Photos

Dragon*con 2012: Photos taken by DarkainMX