Variant: High School Uniform (Fall/Winter)
Since I already had the Juuban Municipal High School uniform from my Usagi cosplay I just had to change up the shoes and add a bow.
- Completed: October 2008
- Debut: Bakuretsucon 2008
- Difficulty: Normal
- Time Spent: 30 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $67 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Suiting, Polished Cotton-Spandex Shirting, Ribbon
Even though it looks like a very basic outfit, I still had to make the majority of the pattern bits from scratch or majorly altering ones I had previously made. I am not what the pattern makers consider "average" proportions-wise but an actual hourglass shape, which requires a little more work than simply starting with the package default; making sure everything fit properly before cutting into the actual fabric. Now, I have a basic pattern that can altered for most school girl uniforms.
- ♥~Shirt~♥ The shirt was made with a polished cotton-spandex shirting and the navy suiting. I machine embroidered on all of the red lines with a basic sewing machine.
- ♥~Skirt~♥ Pleated skirts are such a pain the butt, at least the suiting was wonderful to work with and took the forced creases well to create a crisp clean look.
The navy suiting fabric I used is so soft and supple! Even though is was melt-able on higher iron settings (which made some of the tasks more difficult), it was still very much a joy to work with and wear. It was also wonderful finding a nice white for the shirt that wasn't see-through. Also all the seams are 100% finished due to the fray-able nature of the fabric that I used.
It's a really comfortable cosplay for the most part. Plus, I really love the embroidery that I decided to do for the red stripes on the collar and the cuffs since it looks really lovely against the wonderful navy fabric.
- ♥~Hair Bow~♥ The bow was easy to make once I finally found the right size/color ribbon. I chose the ribbon I did for three reasons:
- ♥~Earrings~♥ I wore a pair of yellow-orange resin gem earrings I got from tsukinohime3.
- ♥~Socks~♥ The socks were purchased at a local store.
- ♥~Shoes~♥ The shoes while it seems they would be easy to find are proving a little more tricky to find more accurate ones. I eventually found and purchased a pair of Mary-Jane style black heels from a local store.
1) The size was to scale with the official art I had.
2) The color is a little more of a dark red but I thought that it was a bit more of a mature color since she was now in High School, plus there was no normal red in that size ribbon.
3) I wanted to make it out of ribbon since if she were to exist in real life the ribbon in her hair would actually be a ribbon not a strip of cotton.
Making the hair bow called upon some skills I had not exercised in a while, like, since I was 11 (I used to make all kinds of hair bows to wear). I forgot how much fun they are to make. ^^;
Eventually I made a second bow to go with my Eternal Sailor Venus out of a matte satin, which replaced my original ribbon bow.
- ♥~Hair~♥ I style my real hair to achieve the look of Minako's hair
- Styling Time: 5-15 minutes (approx.) each time