Variant: School Uniform
I love Mami & Madoka Magica so much that after making Mami's magical girl outfit I wanted to make all her other outfits as well...since that probably isn't possible I started with the next most logical one: her school uniform. ♥
- Completed: February 2013
- Debut: Katsucon 2013
- Difficulty: Normal
- Time Spent: 80 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $168.01 (costume) + $140.91 (accessories) = $308.92 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Sweater Knit, Cotton-Lycra, Shirting, Casa Satin, Cotton, Lining, Venice Lace, Resin, Sculpey, Brass
- ♥~Sweater Top~♥ I made the top out of a sweater fabric that I lined with a cotton jersey fabric since alone they were see-through but together looked perfect. The white shirt was made from stretch poplin. The red & black trim is bias-tape I made from Casa Satin, the red bow was made from the same fabric as the trim, and the lace I found online after much searching. I picked the fabrics that I did because I wanted to go for a more realistic feel for the outfit and the top totally looks like a sweater top to me for some reason.
- ♥~Skirt~♥ The skirt was a pain mainly because pleating is already tedious to begin with and adding plaid into the mix just exacerbates the situation. I spent one weekend pleating the skirt to discover that I had went the wrong way with the pattern and it looked horrid. I had to some how had to piece together another skirt going the opposite way from the remaining fabric (which was very little comparatively) and somehow I did it. The skirt is made from a cotton fabric and it is fully lined & finished.
- ♥~Red Bow~♥ I made the bow from Casa Satin to match the trim on the shirt, it is lightly interfaced. I made a quick pattern from scratch for the bow.
The top was very tricky since I had to pattern it from scratch for the perfect look & fit but I am very pleased with the final results it took me about 2 days to properly pattern since my mock-up fabric had way more stretch than the fabric I used when it arrived which resulted in re-patterning. The only thing I would like to change-up is to find different type of hook & eyes for the collar since the ones I used kept unhooking.
- ♥~Soul Gem (Ring)~♥ I started out with the official US released ring by GE Animation that I liberally applied clear nailpolish to prevent any reaction with my skin. I then was able to get a hold of the official Cospa Mami Tomoe Soul Gem ring which is absolutly gorgeous!
- ♥~Hair Clips~♥ I sculpted and cast the flower portion of the clip and I hand bent very thick brass wire for the large petals and then attached them all together. I then Rub 'n Buffed everything so that the colors would match
- ♥~Tights & Shoes~♥ After much debate as to what color her tights actually are and looking at all the various resources and interpretations I finally settled on a frosty reddish-grey-purple. The next trickiest part was finding that somewhere. I finally lucked into finding a pair online.
I bought the shoes from a shop on eBay that sold made-to-order lolita shoes. They had a base shoe that was exactly what I wanted. I had to alter the shoes since they arrived too big by adding in padding to the insole, adding another 2 holes to the straps, and changing up the buckle to be accurate to the show.
- ♥~Kyubey~♥ He's the official life-sized plush from Japan.
- ♥~Soul Gem (Light-up)~♥ I lucked into getting Mami's official light-up Soul Gem Gashapon from Japan.
- ♥~Teacup & Saucer~♥ A simple white teacup and matching saucer. They were trickier than they should have been to find; purchased on eBay.
- ♥~Wig~♥ I used the Mami wig from Lucaille. I cut and styled the bangs, retied the pigtails with clear ties to replace the original white elastics, and I opted for more natural curls.
- Brand: Lucaille
- Style: Mami
- Color: Butterscotch
- Styling Time: 1 hour (approx.)