Variant: Mahou Shoujo (Magical Girl)
When I started watching "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" I couldn't stop, I was riveted to my seat, it was that good! Mami was my second favorite character to Homura but I opted to cosplay Mami since that seemed to be a no-brainier for me: she's cute, blonde, and busty to boot, a win-win formula for me. I found that the more I worked on this cosplay the more attached to her I got and now she's my favorite character.
This cosplay would have been done for Dragon*con 2011 but heath reasons made me postpone it until Katsucon 2012, but that's ok cause I really love how it came out! ♥
- Completed: February 2012
- Debut: Katsucon 2012
- Difficulty: Very Difficult
- Time Spent: I seriously lost count
- Estimated Cost: $354 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Moleskin, Suiting, Shirting, Spandex, Coutil, Faux Suede, Leather, Feathers, Sculpey
- ♥~Corset~♥ I made a fully steel-boned corset and covered it to achieve the look of Mami's corset. This was the first real corset I've ever made. XD I used coutil for the under-layer for it strength & durability, and a moleskin fabric for the outer layer. As for the trim: the white parts are scalloped beading lace & ¼" Swiss double-faced satin ribbon that were found locally (A super lucky find!). I also made and used bias-tape and faux boning casing trim from the skirt fabric so that all the accenting would match and be consistent.
- ♥~Shirt #1~♥ I had leftover white shirting from a previous cosplay that seemed great for the job. The pattern was for a basic shirt that I've had in my pattern stash, which I altered to fit me a little better than the default shape. It only took a few hours to cut and sew the base white together. The edging is bias tape I made from the skirt fabric. The tab-closures, also made from the skirt fabric, are fully functional. I even added two little mother of pearl buttons to the sleeve cuffs. (Worn to Katsucon 2012)
- ♥~Shirt #2~♥ I remade he shier using a high quality matte white spandex. The pattern was for a basic stretch shirt that I've had in my pattern stash, which I altered to fit me a little better than the default shape as well as altering it to have the closure down the front and the collar. It only took a few hours to cut and sew the base white together. The edging is bias tape I made from the skirt fabric. The tab-closures, also made from the skirt fabric, are fully functional. I even added two little mother of pearl buttons to the sleeve cuffs. (Worn to Dragon*con 2012) The sleeves were remade and replaced 2 more times, once for Katsucon 2013 and then again in the summer of 2013.
- ♥~Skirt~♥ I found this lovely gold-tan silk suiting fabric; depending on the lighting it can look more gold or more tan. ♥ I has an interesting woven texture that I think fits Mami's design well, while still being silk which makes it fitting for a Magical Girl. For the creation of the skirt I patterned and created a basic circle skirt and simple waistband out of the suiting fabric. The brown bias binding trim was hand-made from the same moleskin fabric I used for the outer corset layer.
The belts are real leather that came in a continuous strap and I worked with and tooled to make the 3 "belts". For the hardware I choose matching floral embellished, stainless steel, buckles and keepers in keeping with the western flavor and floral theme of Mami's design. The buckles are real metal but the keepers I had to resin cast, shape down, re-cast, and paint them since the metal ones I received were too tall for my straps and looked odd. (thanks to sephygoth for helping cast them since I was running out of time). The belts & buckles are fully functional.
- ♥~Hat~♥ Made from a faux suede material, buckram, gross-grain ribbon, a little felt & a ton of feathers (so much fluff.) This was the second hat I've ever made, the first in this style.
- ♥~Soul Gem~♥ Made from wire and sculpey with a custom resin-cast gem (thanks to sephygoth). It's mounted to a hair clip so that it can be attached to & removed from the wig with ease.
- ♥~Hair Clips~♥ I drafted from scratch a flower pattern based on all my reference material. I then for a lack of time made them from fun-foam and metallic paint "armor-style" to get that metal-ish look.
- ♥~Neck Bow~♥ I made the bow from 2 sizes (5/8" & 1") of ribbon, since Mami's bow is clearly two distinct sizes in width. I used a golden-yellow Swiss double-faced satin ribbon and one hook & eye set, for easy attachment & removal. All the sewing in the bow was hand done.
- ♥~Arm-warmers 1~♥ I made my first set from a basic stretch poplin, I used my simple bell-shaped armlet pattern from my pattern library and I added just a cuff to it.
- ♥~Arm-warmers 2~♥ My second pair were made out of a high quality spandex to match my new shirt, I also re-patterned them to be more accurate. They are fully lined since the fabric was a bit see through with the brown gloves underneath.
- ♥~Gloves~♥ I bought some second-hand brown vintage leather gloves, made them fingerless, and carefully painted the gold trim detail with some awesome leather paint.
- ♥~Socks & Boots~♥ The socks were ordered online from Sock Dreams. The socks are a ribbed dark purple wool; so thin & light but warm. As for the boots, I painted, dyed, and altered a pair of second-hand western-style cowboy boots. (check out my tumblr for all the progress pics)
- ♥~Kyubey~♥ He's the official life-sized plush from Japan.
- ♥~Teacup & Saucer~♥ A simple white teacup and matching saucer. They were trickier than they should have been to find; purchased on eBay.
- ♥~Soul Gem (Light-up)~♥ I lucked into getting Mami's official light-up Soul Gem Gashapon from Japan.
- ♥~Gun(s)~♥ Coming Soon!
- ♥~Wig #1~♥ I used the Mami wig from Lucaille. I cut and styled the bangs, retied the pigtails with clear ties to replace the original white elastics, and I opted for more natural curls.
- Brand: Lucaille
- Style: Mami
- Color: Butterscotch
- Styling Time: 1 hour (approx.)
- ♥~Wig #2~♥ Coming Soon!